Thursday, October 16, 2008
- The new bridge has an overall length of 3,450 feet. The former bridge was only 23 feet wide whereas the new bridge is 38 feet wide and provides for an 11-ft travel lane and 8-ft shoulder in each direction.
- The replacement bridge has been designed as a high-level, fixed main span that provides for 65 feet vertical under clearance. The old bridge frequently opened in the summer to allow for the passage of boats, mainly party boats, private fishing vessels and sailboats. This often resulted in traffic back-ups in Ocean City at high tide.
- The 3,500 feet long north approach roadway to the bridge was reconstructed and raised by 3.5 feet so the roadway will be passable during any storm that hits Cape May County. This allows thebridge and roadway to serve as a viable emergency evacuation route for almost any type of storm that would strike Cape May County.
- The toll plaza is three lanes wide to facilitate the movement of traffic. The third lane (middle lane) would be reversible depending upon the traffic flow. The extra lane merges quickly back into a single lane on either side of the toll plaza.
- The old bridge was constructed by the Ocean City Coastal Highway Bridge Company for $707,000 and opened to traffic on October 13, 1928. The Cape May County Bridge Commission bought the bridge in 1946 for $720,000.
- Work activity on the Ocean City end of the bridge had to be scheduled around the piping plover (threatened and endangered species) breeding season. Any blasting associated with the demolition of bridge had to be concerned about the piping plover and various sea turtle migration seasons.
- Approximately 10,000 motorists use the bridge on a typical Summer weekend day. On a typical summer weekday, 7,500 motorists used the bridge. During the off-season, approximately 3,500 motorists use the bridge.
Oh father time
You are so hard to comprehend
And no end
How did we get where we are now
I just don't know how
It’s a mystery of life
Some things remain unknown
But I'm sure there's a reason
Just like for the season's
Do you think
That time has passed you buy
Your still here
Time is not what it appears
When the lord says so
It’s always for reason
And that reason is not always clear
And things may not be what they appear
Don’t worry your time will come
Things only go undone for so long
Then the pendulum swings the other way
Time one not pass you by
Don’t worry you're still here
And when your not I’ll be with you
This is Long over due for an Edit, but the main thing is I've been progressing with my music
my latest album "In The Minds Of Prophets"In The Minds Of Prophets 3/17/2015 and Hopefully "Dark Cloud" 4/1/2015. "Once Upon a Perfect Storm" 2014 . Out 3/10/14 "The King of the Fire"
"I'm going to rewrite this soon to include some life events" Here's the dealeo, I started doing Wood Sculptures about 15 years ago to try and keep myself busy after I stopped drinking and smoking. About 5 years into it I got throat and neck Cancer. I say this because before I had the Cancer I had not written or sung Music. Looking to clean up an open space in late 2007 and 2008 ( http://openspacedocumentary.
blogspot.com/) i became closer to some of the local wild life, I bonded with a Hawk and a Baby duck and started to write songs, I forced myself to sing when I could, I have over three hundred songs now, some good, some not so good, but I am getting better at writing, singing, mixing and arranging.
New:"Charleena"2013 "The River" 2013 and "Cried and Cried My life Story"2012 others "Reflections Destiny"2012 "Kevin'ns Epic Music"2012 "Fire Storm Of Emotion" 2012"Angel Secrets"2012 All 18 Available at my Store http://www.reverbnation.
Nature inspires Linwood man to sing, record despite bout with throat cancer (PressOfAtlanticCity.
Com)Album "Epic Shine" "Walk Away" before that was"Angel Woman" along with some old remakes"Sing Back In time2011" and "Its The Spirit In The Dance" along with over one hundred of my songs and other Albums available for Sale all streaming at http://www.reverbnation. com/kevinlajinessI write from a position of emotion and honesty, usually tell a story about love, life, relationships, nature, adventure, history, spirituality,philosophy etc. My Art and Music style is Naive, I beat mix looped instruments as accompaniments but the melodies don't necessarily match, but I put a great deal of thought into them and try and bring something epic to bear in mind, yet some of my songs are ballads and relaxing songs of love .I have 5 song books/ songbooks online 4 of them avalable as google e-books my "The 2009" http://Kevin Lajiness 2012 Song Book https://books.google.com/ kevinlajiness2009song.and 2010 Song Book https://books.google.com/ blogspot.com/ books?id=SWsPBAAAQBAJThe 2011 Song Book https://books.google.com/ books?id=8xkOBAAAQBAJand books?id=MpsNBAAAQBAJKevin Lajiness 2013-2014 Song Book (Google eBook)http://books.google.com/ books/about/Kevin_Lajiness_ 2013_2014_Song_Book.html?id= wHEMBAAAQBAJThese books represent a ton of work , good bad or indifferent. I apologize ahead of time for typo's English and spelling, i suck at all of that, but it's about the music and lyrics and that's what really matter but I gave it my best.with some links to the songs , some I have taken down, (I am going to try and put them all back up for nostalgia and to show my progress from Throat and neck Cancer), but the lyrics are all thereI have many slideshows/Videos of nature and Open Space pic's over the years that I put to my music on YouTube-kevinlajiness and saved in Google + or Picasa.
I grew up on Lake Erie Lagoons, my grandfather had a bate shop. Fishing and hunting was big on my fathers side no doubted stemmed from the fact that his ancestors were “Woods Runners” or “coureurs des bois”. As long as I can remember I’ve had a love for trees, nature and the environment, I attribute that, and the spiritual connection I have with mother earth, to the connection my ancestors had with the Indigenous peoples of the Americas. Most if not all of them are child friendly. I started writing my early songs while working on a open space for a year, where I bonded with a hawk and a duck.
Allot of what I draw from comes from life’s experience and what’s in my heart, what I believe is a responsibility to carry the messages of or ancestors on what is right, to come to a conclusion we are all part of something bigger than ourselves and that we pass that on to our children in story and song,but remember i am an artist I write story and rhyme, lesson and fable, I do not try to be politically correct.even though i don't use cuss words other that Hell and dam, I don't have a problem with artist that do,to each there own, I believe things evolve for a reason, hey it got someone out of the slums, by the way the baby duck that followed me home got to big and i gave her to a zoo keeper, she flew back to his house from the zoo and they raised her, she has since had her own baby's